Super Visa: What is so 'Super' about this!

Also known as parent and grandparent super visa, this allows you to visit your children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. It is usually valid for up to 10 years or up to the validity of your passport.

To be eligible under this category you must be invited by your child or grandchild who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. The invitation must include a promise of financial support, list and number of people in the household and a copy of the Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document.

Further, your child or grandchild must meet the minimum necessary income requirement. They need to provide supporting documents such as notice of assessment (NOA), T4/T1 for the most recent tax year. Additionally, you must provide proof of payment for a medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry and a minimum of $100,000 in coverage.

Super visa, sponsor your parents

Applying for the super visa

You must apply for a super visa from outside of Canada. It is your choice to select online or paper application.

Applying online has several advantages over the paper application including the possibility of faster processing. It is a good idea to notarize the invitation letter. Further to the previously mentioned requirements, you also need a medical exam by a panel physician.

What is the govt. processing fee?

For one applicant, the application processing fee is $100. The biometrics fee is $85 (if applicable). Further, if you need eTA not TRV the application fee is $7.

What is the processing time?

Processing time varies from country to country and office to office. Ensure your application is complete and accurate for a faster processing time.

How long can I stay in Canada?

On a super visa, you can stay up to 2 years. Additionally, you can apply for extension if you need more time to spend with your family.

Can I apply from within Canada?

No, currently Canada accepts overseas super visa applications only. If you are in Canada, you can apply for extending your stay instead.
Sponsor your parents