Refugee Humanitarian and Compassionate are two different streams. Refugees are forced to flee their country and are not able to return back. The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), along with private sponsors, identifies refugees for resettlement. A person cannot apply directly to Canada for resettlement. After they are identified, it takes time to process the cases.
Humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to people with exceptional cases. Canada assess these applications on a case-by-case basis. The key factors include:
- The settlement of applicant in Canada;
- General family ties to Canada;
- Best interests of any children involved; and
- What could happen to you if Canada does not grant the request.
- You can not apply if you have a pending refugee claim, you must withdraw your refugee claim before H&C application.
- You can not apply if you had a negative decision from IRB in last 12 months. There are some exceptions to this bar such as children and serious medical conditions (if any).