Passport Index gives 5th rank to the Canadian passport. And, Canadian citizenship is a huge milestone for the newcomers. In other words, people should consider applying for a citizenship as soon as they are eligible. Applying for a Canadian citizenship is relatively easy and less expensive compared to the permanent resident visa application. In return, you get voting rights and preference in opportunities over the foreign nationals in Canada.
- Firstly, citizenship grant fee is $630 for adults and $100 for minors.
- Application processing time is about 12 months.
- Must have permanent resident status in Canada.
- Must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1095 days during 5 years before applying.
- Need to file income tax (if not exempt) for 3 years during last 5 years before application.
- If you are between 18 to 54 years old when you apply:
- Must pass citizenship test; and
- Must have CLB 4+ in English or French.
- Above all, must not be inadmissible.